VPN services are becoming quite common with everyday users of the internet. The uses of a VPN like providing security to the user’s data as well as protecting his identity while browsing the internet are one of the most required services in today’s world where a lot of stress is put on cyber security.
Among other changes that have been introduced with Windows 10, the method of setting up a VPN connection has changed as well. It is much different from the methods to set up a VPN in Windows 7 and set up a VPN in Windows 8. The first thing a user needs to set up a VPN connection in Windows 10 is to have the proper credentials which are required to access a server. Without these, a VPN connection cannot be set up.
After getting the proper credentials, the following steps can be followed to set up a VPN connection in Windows 10:
- Use administrator account to log on to Windows 10 PC.
- You would then need to click on the start button located on the bottom-left part of the screen.
- A section will appear on the left side of the screen. Click on Settings which will be under the Places section.
- A window will appear on the screen when you click on Settings. There will be different icons in the window like System, Devices. You need to click on the Network & Internet icon here.
- The Network & Internet window will now open up. Select VPN category from its left pane.
- The VPN category opens up into a pane on the right. Click on the + icon which represents Add a VPN connection option.
- A form will appear on the screen on clicking on the Add a VPN connection option. You would need to populate the fields with the right values.
- At the end of the form, there will be a checkbox field with the name Remember my sign-in info. Ensure that you tick this field in order to rid yourself from repeating the process over and over. However, if you are using a public computer, say in a library or an Internet café then you would not want to save your sign-in info. In that case, it is advisable to not check the Remember my sign-in infobox field at the end of the form.
- After you have successfully set up your own VPN connection using steps 1-8, you can see that the connection has appeared in the right side pane of the VPN option in the Network & Internet window. Select the VPN that you have created.
- There are three buttons in the field of your VPN connection. You can use them to connect to that particular VPN using the details and credentials provided during its creation, remove the connection, or make changes to it with the Properties button.
Apart from setting up a VPN connection, other services like managing of the proxy settings and automatic detection can be used from the Advanced Settings option which is under the Additional settings section. This is located right below the VPN connection you created. Connection to the VPN can be established by clicking Network icon from the system tray which is at the bottom right corner of the screen. You would need to proceed as:
- Select Ethernet or Wi-Fi from the Network & Internet pane.
- Click on Show available connections under the Additional settings option.
Selecting Wi-Fi or Ethernet properly is vital, as it depends on the network card responsible for establishing a connection between the Windows 10 PC and the internet.